Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fending off a TRANS-DAR Alert - Update


Carolyn from the Sunshine state offers an additional suggestion for dealing with a Trans-Dar alert, which was demonstrated to her support group by Lacey Leigh several years ago.

"Two weeks after the support group meeting, I was out your area and shopping up at the Great Mall in Milpitas. I had my arms full of bags and stopped in the food court. I got a sandwich and drink, then sat down to eat. I could hear some snickering coming from one of the food booths and looked over to see two teenage boys and a girl. One of the boys was making remarks, but not loud enough for me to completely hear. I finished up and tossed away my wrapper and cup, then picked up my bags and walked straight towards them with a nice smile on my face. It really surprised them and you could see them getting nervous. I walked right up to the kid making the most noise and used a line Lacey had used two weeks earlier. "Not what you'd expect from a Vietnam Veteran, is it? You must have a thousand questions, what would you like to know?" With that, we had a nice 20 minute conversation and when I left, it was all "Thanks and have a great day." I constantly tell ladies in our group that a smile is your most important accessory."